Thursday, July 15, 2010

It Begins....

As I approached work for the first time in a few days Tuesday I was dreading the start of restaurant week. It was my first time working in the Big Apple for this special week and I had heard nothing but tales of dread around said topic. The other servers were not enthralled by it and therefor I was not into it either. So, I dragged my feet as I went in for Lunch on Tuesday.

I now realize one thing about restaurant week; Lunch is where it's at. Lunch is where the money is made. Our menu is nice and a good introduction to our restaurant and traditional Japanese food for beginners who don't know a lot about it. It can change your mind completely about what you thought Japanese food was or is. There is absolutely no sushi or sashimi on our menu for the week, which is a nice change for many visitors.

One thing I can't stand about this week; no patience from clients. I picture myself only two and half hours ago carrying hot stones resting in blocks of wood topped with Stone Waygu Beef and delicious veggies sizzling hot as the oil burns my flesh. My wrists shaking and my concentration lying only on making sure I get the food to the right table and safely without burning myself more, or the nightmare of dropping the stone. Now when I set down said stone I need to set down two or more, one for each guest. And then, all of a sudden, my concentration can be broken by a simple "what is this?!". I love to tell people about what they are about to eat. It is a big part of what we do. My only request is that while I hold a sizzling hot stone that you wait until it is completely in front of you to ask me about it. I understand that you may be excited for the new mouth-watering deliciousness that you are about to experience. The party in your mouth you can not resist. But I am concentrating too; on not burning the heck out of your or I.

That being said, I am totally pumped because I got into DBGB for Lunch tomorrow. I think I am going to go with my good friend Melissa and we are going to plan out our adventurous weekend at Coney Island where we will be working the shop for Siren Music Festival. This will be followed by a visit from a long lost friend from FL and my Brother coming on Monday! I am so excited for the week ahead even though I am exhausted beyond comprehension for working the past 15 days straight.

Oh....PS- I started knitting today. Scarf is in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment