Instead of trying to catch you all up on my last 5 months in the big city I am just going to start where I am right now; Coney Island, NY.
I am working at Coney Island Lager's World's Smallest Brewery. We are proudly down here on weekends brewing one gallon batches of some of the most interesting and delicious recipes we can create and get our hands on! Today is Sunday and we are on an off day of brewing because I am manning shop alone. Yesterday the lovely gentlemen I work with brewed a Pale Ale which is currently fermenting to my left. How delightful! I believe a previous IPA that we brewed is ready for drinking today so I popped one in the hops fridge to cool down, as we bottle condition our beers down here so they are warm.
Coney Island is quite nostalgic and from my doors I get a wonderful view of the classic Wonder Wheel! I have yet to ride this historic piece of Coney Island history, but I am waiting for the ride co-passenger to go with. Someday before the close of season I hope.
This week restaurant week will commence and I will be in it full force at EN. Can't wait. It is far better to be busy than slow. I am excited to see what other restaurants have on for the week, although I am often disappointed with the selections and prefer the regular tasting menus at these places.
As for publications, keep an eye out for both of my jobs! Shmaltz is racking up awards all over the place for the year of 2009 in July publications for our awesome Coney Island Lager line and our head chef at EN is gracing the cover of a cook book of NY Chefs as well as being featured in a few magazines! I will keep you updated! My life is never boring and I am so pumped I know these awesome people!
Today I think my adventures include finishing up down here in a few hours then heading to the history filled Ruby's on the boardwalk for a nice ice cold beer. I brought my camera down to get a few photos as I feel I am falling behind on that. I will also be heading to the local market to pick up some fresh veggies to start my newest hobby.... PICKLING!! I can't wait. I think I am going to start with a nice spicy horseradish pickled cucumbers. Starting basic.
Keep checking back I am going to update this one daily! Thanks guys.
I'm pretty sure your job sounds *awesome* What great fun, I can't wait to hear your adventures.
ReplyDelete